Friday, October 8, 2010

Time to Pull Out the Ruler!

How to determine your face shape

It's a funny thing...If I were to ask 100 of my female clients what their face shape is...99 of them would say round. True! It amazes me when this happens. We are always our own worst critiques. However, 98 out of 99 times, my clients are wrong. There are lots of opinions and ideas on how to figure out your face shape, but, there is actually an solution to figure it out once and for all.

Whenever you sit down with a new stylist, (someone who has never cut your hair before), they should take into account three things...

Your face shape
Your bone structure
Your hair texture and density (more on this later)

To find out the shape of your face, use a tape measure or ruler and write down the following measurements...
1st...Measure across your forehead at the widest point. Generally the widest point will be somewhere about halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline.
2nd...Measure your face across the top of your cheekbones.
3rd...Measure across your jaw line from the widest point to the widest point.
4th...Measure from the tip of your hairline to the bottom of your chin in the middle of your face.

To make this easy on yourself, do this in the mirror and don't lay the tape measure on your skin. Doing so will cause you to take in account your nose which may add extra width unnecessarily.

I used a tape measure and my measurements are~
Forehead 5 inches, Cheek bones 5 1/4 inches, Jawline 4 1/2 inches, Top hairline to tip of chin 7 inches.
That makes me a soft rectangle. My jawline isn't super soft so I'm not quite an oval.



Oval~ Length equal to one and a half times width.
Heart/Inverted Triangle~ Narrow at jawline, wider at cheekbones/and or forehead
Square~ Your face is about as wide as it is long with a very pronounced jawline.
Round~ Your face is as wide as it is long. Usually with a very soft jawline. This may vary a little but generally the measurement is close.
Rectangular/Oblong~ Longer than it is wide.
Diamond~ Widest at cheekbones, narrow forehead and jaw line of approximately equal widths.
Pear~ Narrow at the forehead and wider in the jawline.

I'm anxious to hear what you come up with! Let me know by leaving me a comment. :) 
Up soon, I'll be going over what you can do and shouldn't do with each face shape.
Happy Measuring!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails