There are so many variables when you are trying to find a hairstylist. Not to mention, the hunt can be very anxiety provoking. So, I have come up with a few tips to help calm your nerves and find you a great relationship with your new hairstylist.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Take a poll. Word of mouth is every hairstylist's secret weapon.
- Ask friends whose hair you like, who their hairstylist is and would they recommend them.
- Don't be afraid to stop someone you don't know and ask them where they get their hair done. Most people love their hairstylist, and a compliment :), and can't wait to divulge their stylist's info.
- Go online and look up reviews of Salons that are in your area.
- Once you have a list of salons, call them and ask them for a stylist recommendation.
- Ask questions...How long has the stylist been doing hair? Does he/she specialize in certain types of hair? How much does he/she charge?
- If you have a particular need or want, (i.e., Brazilian Gloss, relaxer, perms, gray coverage, highlights, etc.), make sure that stylist is proficient in that area.
- Set up a consultation with a stylist that has been recommended to you. (Most consultations are free)
- Make sure that you voice your concerns and ask questions during the consultation.
- Ask the stylist what their vision is for your hair.
- Remember, this is where you get to voice your concerns and ask all the questions you want. At anytime, if you don't connect with the stylist or the stylist's vision, you can leave. No harm, no foul.
This may be a process, but don't fret. It's better to go through a few bad consultations than to have you hair go through the ringer. Just like in real life...Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs to get to your Prince or Princess! :)